Sunday 13 November 2016

Leeroy’s musical journey- from a hobby to a living (Feature)


Leeroy at work in the Kalang Radio studio


Chung in Japan Tokyo after winning the Japanese Language singing competition.



Participating in the Digicel Stars show in 2010.



By MATTHEW VARI

Sunday,  October 16, 2016 (Sunday Chronicle PNG)



THERE are two types of talent. One is groomed with years of practice and there is that of natural ability to be really good at doing something. Music in Papua New Guinea has been, one might say, a natural occurrence for over tens of thousands of years. But with the introduction of Western music and instrumentation influences- the whole genre of music in Papua New Guinea has grown considerably to a point where something that was once considered a past time activity or one of heritage is now finding its true place as a real profession in an ever evolving industry.

When referring to natural ability to make music, a lot of names come to mind from the legends of PNG music to the new modern hipsters taking the scene on the airwaves. Everyone has at some point in life come across, in one way or another, that individual that you knew was going to be well-known by everyone because of his or her musical talents.

One individual for me that I came across that stood out was Leeroy Chung- and yeah just like you, I remember his name being called out when we first went to high school at Gerehu Secondary, in the nation’s capital, picturing an Asian classmate- which would be a first for many of us to have a foreigner in class. Low and behold we had one of the most typical looking PNG blokes walk into the room.

Little did we know how much musical talent, this individual had, which would show through for the years to come. Leeroy Chung, is from a mix parentage of Gulf and New Ireland- part Chinese, which apparently is where his mother is from, thus the Asian surname. Like many special Papua New Guinean, he started life on the wrong foot with his parents separating while he was in primary school.

Talent for the lad begun early in the church- which is where natural talents are born and mentored- where as young as the age of 8 he was somewhat an attraction at crusades taking the stage playing instruments and singing.

“I grew up in the church my father was a church elder, started playing music around 7, 8 years old. I was regarded as one of the best in my age at church,” he said.

“Wherever I went I was usually taken to crusades, outreach, but going into primary (school) I was a bit shy and probably it was due to the fact that I did not hang around with individuals that had same interests that I had.”

“When I was little I was known to play music from the street to other places just to draw attention.”

With little or no encouragement for music in the primary school years at that time, he kept his love for music hidden from most, only to come out in high school where expressive arts is a subject. It was there under the guidance of his subject teacher and now female artist Elizabeth Tandoa that Mr Chung found the value of his talent in recording.

Numerous singing competition, theme songs, and popular collaborations later, all done, one might say to an extent of being a free service- the 28 year old is now moving towards commercialize his talents.

Experiences that are worth noting include winning a Japanese Singing and Language Competition that included a trip to Tokyo, Japan. A stint on television singing talent show, Digicel Stars, where he made it through to the Grand Final in 2010. Chung also took part in the Media Song Writing Competition, writing a song that won the competition to commemorate media freedom day in 2010. To an extent that he almost took part in the X-Factor Australia, had his stay of 1 year for TAFE studies in Cairns lapsed, just as his audition in front of the judging panel was to take place.

“I got in, and entered the competition, but unfortunately it was towards the end of my stay and I had to come back, that was in 2013,” Leeroy recalls.

“I went through three auditions before the main audition. The final one is the actual show, because of the timing factor. I missed my chance like our very own Samantha Clarkson, who went on The Voice Australia.”

Even after recording a gospel album in 2005, which got released in 2010 titled ‘Heaven Sent’, he still did not take the business side of music as just that, a business.

“By that time some of us started doing circular music, by then our gospel album came out. One of the key things I always did music but around that time I also started to realize that this was a business opportunity that I needed to make use of,” he said.

“Today looking back at it I see that music for me now is indeed a business, where you can actually make a living out of it.”

“For Papua New Guineans, we struggle to make a living here but overseas they become millionaires overnight. I am making it my priority to make something out of it, now am into producing my own music.”

Popular collaborations that took off in the country he recalled the biggest with music producer and artist B-Rad in the song “Number One”, that Chung wrote.

“Me and B-rad were opening acts to shows of international artists that came T-Pain, Sean Kingston, Mario. I wrote the song “Meri Oro” dedicated to my partner.”

“Three beautiful sons later, now one of my goals in music is to help young artists. I was once there looking back I know what they are thinking that they need not be shy about their talent.”

“From the streets where know ones knows their existence because now the competition is tough. If it means for me to teach and coach, if they want to record they can come pay a little fee and record at the studio that I set up with close friends of mine.”

He pointed out the inspiration of well-known performing acts such as Jokema and the massive branding they have achieved as one of his motivations to take on a business centered approach.

“In 2010 the Voice Inc at the University of Papua New Guinea invited me to sing a theme song I wrote for a dinner conference in Brisbane, and I was flown down south to Brisbane to sing it at the Brisbane Convention Center in 2010.”

“There was a gathering that I did for free because I used to volunteer, and now I want people to know that if they want to use me either if it is for a jingle, or to produce a theme song I am available, I can deliver.”

Currently with his latest song featuring Mal Meninga Kuri “I’ll be the one”, sung in the Enga province local dialect he says is one that targets the highlands market, which he says is the biggest market for live music concerts at the moment in the country.

“I wrote the song for a brother of mine from Enga who had a relationship issue, and he shared his story with me. And a developed a story of from that experience.”

“I wrote it and wanted him to translate into the Engan dialect. Mal Kuri was one of the upcoming artists so I decided to bring him in, I used Junior Pala who is an unknown sound engineer who did the sound for the track.”

“The Engan language was important to draw in the listeners from the highlands who represent a huge market base. I wanted Engans to listen and love the song that is sung in their language.”

Leeroy is set for an upcoming concert performance next week in Port Moresby at the Sports Inn on Friday the 21st of October. Chung is calling on all fans of his music along with his latest tracks will be sung, featuring Mel Meninga Kuri. With those interested in making use of his talents can check him out on Facebook, Leeroy G Chung or email leegil801@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment