Sunday 10 January 2016

dAdiigii spreads West Papua freedom message


Caption:  Armstrong Gomara (dAdiigii)


Caption: Track producer Roy Waloloki.




By MATTHEW VARI

Sunday, March 1, 2015 (Sunday Chronicle Weekly Magazine, PNG)





“MUSIC has always been a medium of self expression and emotion- added to that music has no borders and is free, it is a pure representation of what it means to be free.”

Those are the words of Armstrong Gomara (famously known as ‘dAdiigii’), who is about to release his fourth album under the Chin H Meen recording label.

A special track included in the new album, some would say is about to be released at the right time, will feature the plight of the country’s close neighbor West Papua and their fight for freedom from Indonesia.

“I have been in the industry since 2002 up till now, and within those years I have three albums, two of which have been released under the CHM recording label,” Mr Gomara said.

“When I came into the music industry there was a goal, aim, and purpose I had to fulfill, and there was a friend of mine, Airi Ingram, who shared with me the plight of our brothers and sisters in West Papua,” he said.

“When he took me down to play in Melbourne at the Australasian Music Festival, he also launched his own album and had a strong connection with the West Papuan community in Melbourne and in PNG as well.”

“He helps them use music as a weapon of choice to help spread the cause, and when I saw this I saw that his music was much more than himself, and after I thought about it I knew that at least I could do something during my time instead of just doing what I was doing.”

Titled “Till the kingdom comes”, Gomara said that it was morale support on his part- with initial thoughts of making the song in 2012, he added that that the time was needed to be right so he held it off till 2014.

“I saw that the music scene had changed and I saw that it was a good time to write the song, which I titled “Till the kingdom comes”, (West Papuan Anthem),” he said.

“In the song it features prominent artists in Meriani Masani and Prote-J in the song- it talks about what West Papuans want, which is to be free in their own land.”

“The song does not beat around the bush or goes deep into history but is straightforward. Their fight has been a long one, and I am sorry that they have not received that- every man needs to be free.”

He said that I hoped that the song, sung in English and Pidgin, will travel far and wide for the message to be heard.

“My main aim to spread my own contribution to the struggle, and apart from that I have done four other songs.”

The song itself is a reflective one that emanates the frustrations of the people of people in their struggles for independence.

The album produced by Roy Waloloki (DJ rEsQ), has not named yet, but will be released in March.



No comments:

Post a Comment