Monday 20 June 2016



Caption: Former NCD Metropolitan Superintendent Anderson Bawa.



I don’t deserve a media trial: Bawa
 
Sunday, February 28, 2016 (Sunday Chronicle, PNG)



THOSE were the comments made by the former Metropolitan Superintendent, Anderson Bawa, when referring to the manner in which the NCD Command’s through his successor, the current Metropolitan Superintendent (Met Supt) Benjamin Turi, has gone out in the media about.

When asked by the Sunday Chronicle about the allegations made against him, Bawa said that the manner in which the Met Supt had turned an internal administrative matter into a public circus.

“I must also stress that Turi's allegations are all irrelevant and is just a witch-hunt to deceive the public. He can make media stunts to win confidence and trust,” he said.

“His approach to go public over an internal administrative matter points out his immaturity and childish behaviour when he could have replied to my two earlier correspondence and invited me for an interview which I would have accepted.”

“For him to go public and manhunt for me is too low and he has shot below the belt. I am not a criminal like William Kapris or others am a senior police officer and a leader in my own rights and I deserve to be accorded that respect.”

Bawa said that his reputation spoke for itself and I have earned it through his efforts as the opt cop in the capital.

“Since he (Turi) has gone public I will continue to defend myself if and when it is necessary to protect my integrity at all cost. I ask the media not to be biased but to be fair and report the facts correctly.”

“I have nothing to hide and only the truth will be reviled and I welcome the investigation.”

The former Met Supt also refuted comments made by Assistant Commissioner of Police David Manning in regards to him not knowing the amount of funds that were diverted from Pacific Games operations to operational and administrative use as reported in the media.

“His comments today (Thursday, Feb 25, Post Courier pg. 5) contradicts his advice I took in using the money when I first asked him late last year during the pacific games to have it returned,” Bawa claimed.

“He can’t deny the truth or else I wouldn't have come out public to admit the facts. We spoke and met on numerous occasions and all along he agreed to his initial statement.”

“All he can do now is to simply admit the fact and there’s no wrong in it because I will continue to speak out on the truth that was discussed.”

“We are all sworn officers of the law and we can’t deny or twist our words. It’s all an administrative matter that could have been resolved internally and not ending up in the media for public consumption.”

He added that he is prepared to go to court to admit the truth against the allegations.

Bawa is also considering taking legal actions against The National Newspaper for what considered as biased report that took front-page on its Tuesday publication.

“I see the reporting by those two national reporters as biased and unprofessional. They did a media trial on me by putting the cart before the horse and preempting the result.”

“I will seek legal advice to sue the National Newspaper for defaming my character and putting up a biased and one-sided story.”

No comments:

Post a Comment