Sunday 20 September 2015

A tribute to the single parent (Feature)




Caption: Me and my single Mum (Falesoa Vari) during one of our gardening excursions in the village




By MATTHEW VARI

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 (Midweek Chronicles, PNG)




I asked her once, “Mummy who is my father” and she answered, “Your father is God in heaven”. To be honest, I was disappointed with that answer. I knew who God was, believe me. At seven years of age in a Christian country. He is pretty much the equivalent to the first best mighty super hero one learns of early on in life.

I wondered what I was to tell my elementary class mates. Every one of them, according to my reasoning, had a mother and father. I wanted one, too. When I constantly asked the question, she got irritated. Telling me she is both, my father and mother at the same time. Believe me, my mind worked overtime trying to understand and justify why this was so. This is just one of many examples of the situations and difficulties single parents are faced with, raising their children on their own.

To the layman – a single parent is defined simply as a single mother, or father who is the sole provider to his or her children. Almost every one of us will experience this at one point in our lives, which is to be a single parent or to be a child to one. In my own opinion there are three types of single parents out there. Each of them are equal champions in their own right. They are; the single parent separated from their partner, the parent single due to circumstances beyond his or her control, and finally the single parent that simply refused to be attached to anyone but her children.

The single parent who has separated from their spouse is strong in mind. He or she takes on the challenge that was once shared by two. Making and adapting to the roles as his, or her own. The single parent who has had the responsibility thrust onto them is a person of resilience. Their love is undeniable. They are a beacon of hope when all seems lost. Lastly, is the rebel of all single parents. Most would say a tiger in human skin. They protect their children against all. Even the storekeeper from the street corner must choose his words carefully when he serves their children. In fear of a punch-up or and an ear-bashing.

So what are the challenges both the single mum, and dad face? We call them many things. Some we wish we never said. The single parent is a full time, over-worked worker. That never gets paid for the extra hours. Some of the names we use for them are outrageous at times like; mums, mommy, right girl, you stap na me stap (Tok-Pisin phrase meaning because you exist, I do so as well), in my local dialect ‘sina’ (short form for mother), and my personal favourite, the Queen. For single dads they use; paps, fada  man, boss, dad, daddy, local dialect of dad, and the list goes on.

They work almost every day in chaotic environments. If they’re not working hands on, they worry about their kids wherever they are, until they get a severe migraine. Eventually getting relieved when they take out the stress on the big-headed last-born, typical!

They spend their money on everything apart from themselves, and unfortunately it may never be reimbursed. Single dads are willing dressers to the girls and give opinions on fashion, cook, wash, clean, and listen to the latest gossip. Single mums must be willing to talk sport, bash the big kid in class who bullied her son. Make sure her son never beats a woman by beating the message into his skull.

Their responsibilities will remain for the rest of their lives with no assistance, no leave, and no superannuation. Singles parents never want to think of themselves, yet they complain about this for the rest of their lives. They must make their children fear them. At the same time convince them, they are their best and only friend to talk to. Children tend to be closer to their single parent than most families with both. It is because they don’t have to choose.

With all the hardships and happiness comes the part all children hate. It is when they die. I’ve been blessed to have been born to a single parent. Though growing up through the years, the want for a father will always be there. However, I’ve realised that it was just a want and not a need. She was right after all when she said I don’t need a father. To this day she has given me everything, love, advice, food, shelter and many more. You name it my mom a.k.a. dad has given me. I salute her and all parents, whether single or not.

Now that she’s gone, the world seems a lot darker. Unlike me – you would have had twice as much fun with your parents, when I will have had it once. You will cry once, but will give a sigh of relief that even though one is gone, the other still lingers their memory and a sense of security. I myself will cry once and never stop. I will have one chance to make it right, one chance to have fun with her. If you asked me 16 years ago who my hero would be? I would have said superman. Now if you asked me that same question. I’d say my single mum is the greatest hero I have ever known.

ENDS///







No comments:

Post a Comment