Monday 12 October 2015

MP gives ultimatum to Finance Dept



Caption: Sam Basil (with microphone) addressing the Secretary for Finance Dr Ngangan (red tie)



By MATTHEW VARI

Sunday, December 8, 2013 (Sunday Chronicle, PNG)



MEMBER for Wau Bulolo and Deputy Opposition Leader Sam Basil created, what many described as history last Friday when he fronted up at the Finance Department premises at the Vulupindi Building front entrance in Waigani, and demanded the remainder his people’s District Support Improvement Program (DSIP) funds.

He gave a deadline of December 31 for the department to give his district’s funds, and vowed to return with his people on the January 10.

Clearly frustrated, the MP spoke of the various tactics used by those at the department of finance to delay payment to not only his electorate, but also the electorate of his fellow Opposition members.

A crowd of almost 200 supporters and onlookers gathered to hear the leader speak of the various reasons to why he resorted to front up at the ministry’s entrance.  

“When I speak in Parliament about what is rightfully our, they say their doors are open for me to go and discuss with them. Why!"

Why am I to come and see the minister- will I come and tell stories with them only.”

“No! I will not go and see the minister; it is the money of the Bulolo District.”

He called on Finance Secretary Dr Ken Ngangan as to why and DSIP funds were being carried around to make Members look like people not respected, or like plantation labourers that line to get their funds.

Basil said that the funds were supposed to go in as an electronic transfer to every district account, in the form of four quarterly payments.

“For example of the K10 million, we must be paid K2.5 million each quarter so we can conform to our cash flow and we will not disrupt it.”    

“To date government MPs have got K10 million, and we opposition MPs have received K3 million- with two million still to be cleared.”

“Mr Secretary to come out and tell us here in front of the media and the people if you holding on to our cheque or not.”

“Has it already been written out but is being held back with a lot of excuses given,” he asked the secretary.

The MP told those present that he did do not want the government to hold members at ransom to line up like cargo boys on a plantation waiting for their peoples dues.

“We in the opposition, we are not a lot- there is only six of us.”

“What damage are we going to make to the government of the day?”

He said that they were not a threat to the government and they could not be punished further.

Basil told the crowd that the building was the one that distributed money from the consolidated revenues of the country for the country.

“I am very disappointed that I have become a beggar that I have to come here and beg from my own house.”

Secretary Ngangan responded to the MP, saying that DSIP was a government program, highlighting that a good number of members in government also were in the same boat.

“I am aware that on a minimum basis we have distributed about K3 million to a Member.”

“A lot of members in the Government to have not received their K10 million yet, and they are complaining also.”

“I am a public servant and I support the government to deliver the funds.”

“I can assure everyone that I will make sure that every Member of Parliament get their K10 million, but again it comes back to the government of the day.”

“I will make sure on my part that it is fulfilled before the end of this month and I will make it my business to deliver the K10 million.”

Basil disagreed with the secretary’s explanation, saying that many MPs in government had revealed that they had received their funds in full.

“You are saying that the payment of my people’s money is subject to your boss the Minister of Finance, and awaiting government advice.”

“I have friends on the government side and they have showed me their cheques that they have been given their funds.”

“Those are misleading statements you have given me, and I want to asy that you have lied to me in front of the people.”

He gave the department the ultimatum for the money to be put into the district account.

“If it is not given to the Wau Bulolo people, you will see me and 100 times over the crowd that is here now, and we will come and demand for what is rightfully ours.”


No comments:

Post a Comment